Advanced tech features
Less brand panache than German rivals
All-new for 2023
The 2023 Genesis G90 is a highly appealing and more affordable alternative to more expensive full-size German luxury sedans. It enters an all-new generation for 2023. Pricing starts at $88,400.
SUVs are becoming ubiquitous, but there are still a few options for drivers looking for a full-size, flagship luxury sedan. The Genesis G90 is one of the most competitive players in this shrinking class, and it goes toe-to-toe with longtime class leaders like the BMW
7 Series, Audi A8, and Mercedes-Benz S-Class.
The G90 has a unique design that turns heads, and the interior is spacious and supremely luxurious. This Korean-built luxury sedan is available in two configurations. The base model is loaded with Nappa leather seats, a twin-turbo V8, and a digital gauge cluster. The upper trim adds features like an electric supercharger, reclining and massaging rear seats, and air suspension.
The 2023 Genesis G90
2023 Genesis G90 pricing
The base model of the 2023 Genesis G90 starts at $88,400, and the upper trim with the E-Supercharger begins at $98,700. A $1,095 destination fee applies to all G90 models.
The G90 isn’t cheap, but it’s a more affordable alternative to the BMW 7 Series and Mercedes-Benz S-Class.
The 2023 Genesis G90
Driving the 2023 Genesis G90
As of this writing, we haven’t yet driven the all-new Genesis G90. We’ve been impressed by its twin-turbo V6 in other Genesis models, and we look forward to testing it with the available electric supercharger.
The ride quality promises to be supple yet controlled, thanks to the G90’s standard electronically controlled suspension with Road Preview. It should be even better with the optional multi-chamber air suspension and rear-wheel steering.
The interior of the Genesis G90 is spacious and luxurious. There’s lots of legroom in both rows of seats, with plenty of room for the rear-seat passengers to stretch out. The interior design justifies the price tag, and the quality of the materials is top-notch.
Standard interior features include Nappa leather seating, matte-finish wood trim, a microfiber suede headliner, heated, ventilated, and massaging front seats with power bolsters, heated rear seats, a heated steering wheel, 3-zone climate control, power rear sunshades, a head-up display, and a wireless charging pad.
The standard infotainment system is a 12.3-inch screen complemented by a digital gauge cluster the same size. It’s loaded with navigation, Android Auto, Apple
HD Radio, and a Bang & Olufsen
The upper trim gets more luxurious inside with a 3D audio system, a rear center console with touchscreen controls and wireless charging, plus ventilated, reclining, and massaging rear seats.
Also on MarketWatch: Former Apple car executive’s battery startup plans $1.6 billion factory in Michigan
The 2023 Genesis G90 has a striking exterior design that won’t blend in with the crowd. Some of this luxury car’s rivals are good if you’re looking for subtlety, but if you want a premium sedan that stands out, the G90 can’t be ignored.
The G90 is the biggest sedan in the Genesis lineup. It’s a full-size sedan with dimensions similar to those of the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Audi A8, and Lexus LS.
1. Available E-SuperchargerThe optional electric supercharger is a welcome addition to the twin-turbo V6 under the hood of the G90. It boosts performance with an extra 34 horsepower and 14 lb-ft of torque over the base engine with only a slight penalty in fuel economy.
2. Virtual Venues LiveThis enhanced audio system is a virtual, 3D-surround sound function optimized for different types of music. It has settings like Boston Symphony Hall and Bang & Olufsen Home, replicating the sound quality of real-life venues to make the most out of the 26-speaker sound system.
3. Opulent rear seatsThe front seats in the G90 are supremely comfortable, but the rear seats are arguably an even better place to be. Nappa leather seating is standard, and the upper trim of the G90 adds heated, ventilated, massaging, and reclining rear seats, plus a rear center console with touchscreen controls and a wireless charging pad.
4. Mood CuratorThis standard feature allows your passengers to set the mood in the G90 with themes like Vitality, Delight, Care, and Comfort. It enables integrated control of ambient lighting, the sound system, the fragrance system, seat massagers, and power sunshades to create different ambient environments.
5. Genesis Digital Key 2This feature turns your iPhone, Apple Watch, or Samsung
smartphone into a key through Apple Wallet and Samsung Pass. It does more than just unlock and start your Genesis. The car recognizes the driver and loads your customized vehicle preferences.
6. Highway Driving Assist IIThis standard semi-autonomous driving system makes highway driving safer and more relaxed by combining features like adaptive cruise control, lane centering, and road sign assist.
You might like: The biggest challenge to being a successful investor
Engine and transmission
The base engine in the 2023 Genesis G90 is a powerful twin-turbocharged V6. It produces more power and torque than the base V6 in the outgoing G90 while returning better fuel economy.
The V8 in the outgoing G90 is no longer available. In its place is a twin-turbo V6 equipped with an electric supercharger. It improves performance without only a slight hit to the fuel economy.
Every G90 has an 8-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive.
3.5-liter twin-turbocharged V6375 horsepower @ 5,800 rpm391 lb-ft of torque @ 1,300-4,500 rpmEPA city/highway fuel economy: 18/26 mpg
3.5-liter twin-turbocharged mild-hybrid V6 w/electric supercharger409 horsepower @ 5,800 rpm405 lb-ft of torque @ 1,300-4,500 rpmEPA city/highway fuel economy: 17/24 mpg
KBB’s car review methodology.
This story originally ran on KBB.com.